All industry is being disrupted by the Internet. Yet healthcare organizations are finding that the world is changing fast in technology and patient information.
Here are four critical facts:
- 1 in 3 American adults have used the Web to solve a medical issue
- More than 50% of those 18-44 years old prefer social media for healthcare reviews
- 48% of respondents said they have read healthcare reviews online
- Of those who have read healthcare reviews, 68% used the information to select a doctor, hospital, health plan, pharmacy or drug/medical device
- 90% of those 18-24 years old said they trust medical information shared by others on their social networks
Social media and the Internet have provided a place for patients and potential patients to shop around for services and information. Unfortunately, few organizations are joining their patients on the patient path.
(Source: the Doctor’s Journal, with included information from Pew Research Center and Search Engine Watch)