According to an Adobe (2017) study, consumers spend 1/3 of their day on average “engaging with digital content.”
People are actively searching for interesting content, but they have definite ideas of what forces consumers to stop or switch interacting with content. This list will not surprise you, but you need to be more and more mindful of the amount of time your content takes to load or download on a variety of media (rank based on stopping view content altogether):
- Content takes too long to load (78% stopped or switch to a different content)
- Content is too long (70%)
- Content interaction is disrupted (83%)
- Images will not load (79%)
- Not displaying well on current device (82%)
What is important to know about content, based on this research, is that branded content is only valuable if it is informative, simple and — above all — accurate. People have grown weary of content that is too wordy or poorly written. This is the age of branded journalism, but the rules of journalism still apply.