Your Money or Your Life
“Your Money or Your Life” (YMYL) pages are website pages that offer medical advice (COVID-19 has made almost every website a medical YMYL site), legal advice, financial advice, etc. If it affects a person’s health, wealth and overall happiness, then Google considers the web page a YMYL page:
- An online store asking for your credit card number
- A clinic page listing symptoms for COVID-19
- A consultant providing marital advice
- A financial institution blogging legal suggestions
High-ranking YMYL pages will show a high level of E-A-T (Expertise, Authority, Trustworthiness). So now, the safer a user feels while visiting your page and the more the content meets the search query, the more it will meet the needs of E-A-T. Google is doing this because so many sites try to game the system.
Who decides if you meet E-A-T requirements? Quality raters and actual users. If they are happy, Google is happy.
E-A-T isn’t all that Google is looking for as it assesses your website for YMYL rankings. Here are a few other factors:
- High-quality content. Content of over 1,000 words, which is well written without grammar or spelling mistakes, and thoroughly covers your topic.
- Reputation. A positive online and real-world reputation. According to Google, “For a YMYL website, a mixed reputation is cause for a Low rating.”
- Connections. Good resources including external links, FAQs, etc.
- High-quality website. A well-built website with a responsive, user-friendly design.
Old information, outdated facts and content, old sourcing and broken links will rate you lower. In other words, keep it fresh. And the “it” is content. Google hates brochure-ware. You cannot set it and forget it, because it is your money or your life.