The Digital Disrupter in Healthcare
All industry is being disrupted by the Internet. Yet healthcare organizations are finding that the world is changing fast in technology and patient information.
Here are four critical facts:
- 1 in 3 American adults have used the Web to solve a medical issue
- More than 50% of those 18-44 years old prefer social media for healthcare reviews
- 48% of respondents said they have read healthcare reviews online
- Of those who have read healthcare reviews, 68% used the information to select a doctor, hospital, health plan, pharmacy or drug/medical device
- 90% of those 18-24 years old said they trust medical information shared by others on their social networks
Social media and the Internet have provided a place for patients and potential patients to shop around for services and information. Unfortunately, few organizations are joining their patients on the patient path.
(Source: the Doctor’s Journal, with included information from Pew Research Center and Search Engine Watch)