Clear is the New Clever 3.0
Voice commands are coming. Alexa is already a brand icon and growing. But for marketers, the voice isn’t so different from the typewriter.
Dan Tynan writing in AdWeek said that voice is another interface just like a keyboard and a touchscreen. Yet there is less room for error. You must be “brutally simple and intuitive” to achieve success. And you thought the shift from desktop screens to mobile was hard. The next few years are bringing chatbots, augmented reality, natural language processing which will drive more technology-human interaction.
It is estimated that 1 in 4 searches is conducted by talking, not typing, according to Google. And soon those commands will include visual displays of information, not just audio returns of information.
“Hey Alexa, when will voice take over search?”
“In the year 2020 penetration will be at 50% according to comScore.”
Here are 5 tips from Adweek’s “Trending” on using voice command technology:
- Drop the Hard Sell — self promoting my seem overly aggressive
- Make info Useful — people should use more than once
- Analytics — voice apps allow for experimenting, gathering data and learning
- Think Visually and Verbally — the screens will be part of voice sooner than later
- Minimize Friction — good to think about for websites, mobile sites and voice command-generated information