Google Is Protecting Us and the Future Internet
Google is fighting bad ads. In a report, “How we fought bad ads, sites and scammers in 2016,” Google takes credit for keeping the internet open and safe.
“Ads play a key role in ensuring you have access to accurate, quality information online, but bad ads can ruin the online experience for everyone,” the report stated.
Here are the highlights:
- Google took down 1.7 billion ads that violated Google’s ad policies
- Outlawed and disabled 5 million payday loans
- Disabled 68 million healthcare violations
- Took down 80 million bad ads for deceiving, misleading and shocking users
- Detected and disabled 23,000 self-clicking ads
- Suspended 6,000 sites and 6,000 accounts for attempting to advertise counterfeit goods
Trying to keep the web free and open is not easy, especially with Russians lurking in the dark and light web. The large numbers of ads provide plenty of proof it requires sophisticated technology to defeat the scammers.
Yet I’d bet on Google. They have everything to gain and a lot to lose with widespread infiltration of fake advertising. Google has its eye on the customer experience, something from which we should all learn.