Is There a ‘Prime Time’ for Digital?
There are so many platforms today that it is difficult to put together an adequate media mix to reach your target audience. Searching for a platform prime time is a way to maximize results and optimize your investment.
Finding optimal usage is done by the Nielsen Total Audience Report. Each year, Nielsen curates data to find trends. In 2018, the senior vice president of audience outlined these highlights:
- U.S. adults spend 10 hours and 24 minutes per day connected to media
- Adults 18-34 spend more time with digital than TV and TV-connected devices
- Adults 50-64 use media more than any other age group
- 19% of all adults listen to podcasts each week
- 24% of U.S. households own a smart speaker
- TV and TV-connected devices peak during the 9 pm hour
As you can see in this chart, there are “prime times” for each media. For example, digital falls off during TV’s prime time. People are watching TV, listening to music or reading for 43% of time available each day.
It is important to note that there is simultaneous usage. So there can be some crossover of numbers. But media usage is changing, and it is key to understand real numbers, so you can ride the trends.