For many, the approved logo is unfaltering. I’ve been told that “times change, but our logo never needs to.”
Unfortunately, just like hair styles and clothing, designs change and date your look and your business or organization.
When I was eating in a Red Lobster, I was reminded of this while reading the menu. Yes, the company decided that they would do a little storytelling in the menu — an innovative idea worthy of another blog.
Fonts, shapes, textures and simple orientation play a role in dating logos. So what if my logo is dated? It is subtle, but it sends a clear message to your stakeholders.
When is it time to update your logo?
- When you want to energize your staff
- When you need to refocus your mission
- When you want to compete in this digital world
- When your logo doesn’t fit in the Facebook logo square or app icon shape
- When your kids will not wear clothing with your logo on it
- When you make excuses for your logo
- When your logo looks complicated
- When you are proud you’ve had the same logo for 15 years
- When you ask, “Is it time to update our logo?”
It’s time. The times necessitate it.