What will 2021 Bring in Marketing
We’ve all anticipated the end of 2020.
We know that COVID-19 will not magically disappear on January 1, 2021. But we know a vaccine will potentially be widely available which should help lift our confidence for the new year.
But what should we be thinking about 2021 as we plan for first quarter 2021? Here are few ideas:
- Double down on ecommerce. Look for more ways to provide products, services, and information in a digital form.
- Audit your website compliance. W3C compliance means that your website’s HTML and CSS code is fully compliant with the standards set by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C for short).
- You are your own medium. Remember quarterly newsletters? That slow-news thinking is dead. New content needs to be developed and posted every week. You are now running your own network, newspaper or radio station.
- Digitize your content. Start podcasting, developing video newscasts, holding video programs. It’s time to make your own shows.
- Voice search will grow. Asking Alexa to replenish your favorite coffee or cleaning supplies will become more common. Accurate SEO (accounting for how people talk) will play a key role in making voice search and voice commands more effective.
- 5G is become mainstream. Phones will become as powerful and, in some cases, more powerful than laptops or desktop computers. Mobile will dramatically grow in importance. Watch for more hybrid phones like Galaxy Note and the foldable phones.
- Influencer marketing will become more important. It’s not just what you say, but who says it. Attribution will be the gold standard to marketing and SEO structured data approaches.
- Customer experience should be your battle cry. Enough thinking from the inside out. It’s time to make sure what you are saying is what people need to hear. Is your website designed to make your CEO happy or your clients happy? Testing and research will be key. Nonprofits will no longer be able to disregard their websites.
- Work from home will go beyond a Covid-19 vaccine. How we communicate, sell, attend conferences, raise money is going to change forever.
What about autonomous cars, quantum computers, drones and AI. There is a lot to be excited about when you think of 2021 and beyond.
The expectations are high for 2021. We need to get people healthy first, stimulate the economy, bring our country together and work for social justice for all. And then get our marketing innovation with the underlying foundation of customer/patient/stakeholder/donor experience optimization.