Fundraising Rules 2021
Fundraising Rules Today? Some Things Don’t Change
2020 has certainly been a year for the record books. Everything may feel upside down in our personal and professional lives. For nonprofits, it’s important to remember that fundraising best practices remain the same. Drawing from my over 30 years as a fundraising consultant, here are my nonprofit fundraising rules to live by:
Justin’s Nonprofit Fundraising Rules to Live By (in Any Economy):
- People give to people. It’s as simple as that.
- Are you meeting people — even virtually — so when it’s time to ask, they’ll be ready? Are you thinking like a donor? What do they want to know about you? It’s a great time for proof-of-performance communication.
- Value and foster existing donors above and beyond new ones. When was the last time you thanked those who have made living your mission possible?
- Focus on the organization and its needs. How recent is your strategic plan? When was the last time you determined your strengths, problems, opportunities and threats?
- Be proud of the work you do and the cause. It’s a great time to build the skills of your staff and board.
- Keep asking. It’s number one of the nonprofit fundraising rules. You must continue with your mission and there are donors who wish to give to you. Provide them the opportunity — but ask softly.
As a nonprofit, you know why you do what you do. It’s why we at AMPERAGE Marketing & Fundraising do it, too. Together, we will find a way to succeed in nonprofit fundraising.